Author Topic: MPC Hoth Rebel Base model set  (Read 4173 times)

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
Re: MPC Hoth Rebel Base model set
« Reply #15 on: Sun Mar, 12, 2017, 07:42:PM »
ERMAHGERD! URPDERT!

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Sun Mar, 12, 2017, 08:16:PM »
Great vid. Lights are kool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: Tue Mar, 14, 2017, 11:05:AM »
Regarding the details on the sidewalls and X-Wing, you could achieve all those with decals.
At the scale of the ships, the details should be extremely small and shallow anyway- get a few blank laser decal sheets, some good online orthos of the ships and head to your local copy shop.

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Tue Mar, 14, 2017, 12:39:PM »
cool update

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Wed Mar, 15, 2017, 12:18:AM »
Regarding the details on the sidewalls and X-Wing, you could achieve all those with decals.
At the scale of the ships, the details should be extremely small and shallow anyway- get a few blank laser decal sheets, some good online orthos of the ships and head to your local copy shop.
I've only ever used Testors decal film for inkjet printers. I think it's gone stale or something over the years, because they don't work well anymore. Very shoddy. I have some Fine Molds clear decal paper that I bought for the hopes of being able to use them for printing out Starship Modeler's aztecs for Star Trek models, but although at first I thought these say they are A4 size, they actually say "about A4 size" and therefore cannot be used to print out those SSM aztecs! I have no experience with these papers. I'm sure red printed on clear decal paper should look fine, since the X-Wings will have a light gray color.

I think I could easily scan my Finemolds X-Wing decals (although I need to get my desktop computer put back together again to get my scanner working again... I've had problems even after a complete wipe and re-install of Win7). My original idea was to try to create tiny masks for the markings, but I don't have full confidence that they'll look alright.

ALSO, now that I've sealed the X-wing halves together, I've noticed that some of the fiber optics are duller than others. Not all of them are the same brightness. I don't understand why, because I do not believe I broke any of the fibers. At this point I may as well just fall forward and keep going. It just bugs me. the .75mm fiber optics were just barely small enough to be manageable. Any fibers with a larger diameter would not be able to be threaded through such tiny models.

I bought this kit last summer at Wonder Fest, and Steve (SMKR) gave me another one. Mine comes molded in a light beige color while his is grayish and the detail looks a little bit sharper. I've notice that the quality of the grayish plastic is better quality when I'm drilling out holes and such.
« Last Edit: Wed Mar, 15, 2017, 12:20:AM by stevethefish »

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Wed Mar, 15, 2017, 01:22:AM »
Most decal paper found online is "US LETTER" sized- 8.5x11".
"A4" is UK standard- it's 8.25x11.25", so the A4 is taller and more narrow.
If you have a home printer, you can likely still use LETTER sized decals by trimming .25" off the width. Just watch that the bottom is not cut off.

I usually scan the part (or the mini) and use Adobe Illustrator to scale the decals).
I recommend laser decals over inkjet- you won't need to spray seal them and because toner is essentially crushed plastic, thedecals are waterproof.

Anyway, it's what I use.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Wed Mar, 15, 2017, 02:42:AM »
Most decal paper found online is "US LETTER" sized- 8.5x11".
"A4" is UK standard- it's 8.25x11.25", so the A4 is taller and more narrow.
If you have a home printer, you can likely still use LETTER sized decals by trimming .25" off the width. Just watch that the bottom is not cut off.
Well when I tried to set up those Enterprise Refit aztecs from SSM (you probably know the ones I mean), I tried inserting the images into a Word document to print them and they wouldn't fit right on the Fine Molds decal paper. A4 is 210x297mm while these Fine Molds decal sheets are 200x280mm. So, I couldn't use them for the Enterprise like I had hoped, and I had bought several of these to use!

I once printed a yellow decal for a blue surface and it looked like crap. I am very disappointed that people like us are not able to make decent transparent decals four ourselves. Alps thermal printers are now obsolete, and AFAIK nobody is making ink for those anymore.

But since these X-Wings will be a light gray color, I suppose printing some decals on transparent decal paper should work. This should hopefully motivate me to redo my computer.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Tue Mar, 28, 2017, 08:42:PM »
I uploaded this a few days ago and forgot to share it here.
« Last Edit: Tue Mar, 28, 2017, 11:13:PM by Quaralane »

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Wed Mar, 29, 2017, 07:18:PM »
Great project. As I said in the vids.

I can send you some smaller tube man. PM me your info.

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Thu Mar, 30, 2017, 04:20:AM »
I wish you were in the US- I'd print some laser decals for ya!
If I can print a decal for the 1:2256 MF, I know you can make great decals for those X-Wings!

The Y-Wings.....you'd be better off scratching new ones.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: Sun Apr, 02, 2017, 11:25:PM »
I wish you were in the US- I'd print some laser decals for ya!
What sort of decals are you talking about? Like a printer with white ink and all that? I have a friend in the US you could mail them to, since he will be sending me some stuff in the next month or two. Do you need measurements for the wings and such?

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: Mon Apr, 03, 2017, 02:45:AM »
No, nothing has white ink nowadays you'd have to settle on an.opaque white decal- which a background color like grey could be printed, so it blends with your model's base color,
OR transparent decal which, while loking perfect on white or light grey, would look awful on a dark color like green or blue.

The big model companies silkscreen their decals with opaque ink- but that's not fesable for a one-off.

If you need a large emblem for a dark surface, you can likely cut around a design on opaque decal paper-
For stuff like the details on your X-Wings, I'd go with transparent decal over a very light grey- you can gloss coat it after and weather as needed.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Mon Apr, 03, 2017, 03:42:AM »
For stuff like the details on your X-Wings, I'd go with transparent decal over a very light grey- you can gloss coat it after and weather as needed.
That is what I am planning on doing. I have some clear laser printer decal paper, so I can try to size down the Finemolds decals and see if they can fit.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: Sun May, 28, 2017, 11:51:PM »
Does anyone have a recommended method for downsizing decals? I've scanned the Finemolds X-Wing decals. I can only think of perhaps cropping into each decal and saving them as an image. Then pasting each image into a Word document and resize them to the dimensions I have measured on the smaller model. I'd then print them on regular paper and by trial and error I can cut them from the paper and place them on the model to judge.

Is there something more efficient than this trial-and-error method?

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Mon May, 29, 2017, 07:02:PM »
You should be able to use the same software you used to scan them, with luck.
I've used Paint Shop Pro for years, and simply resized the whole sheet (print size, not pixel size) to get some of my own custom stuff
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--