Author Topic: STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017  (Read 8568 times)

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
Re: STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017
« Reply #45 on: Wed Jan, 03, 2018, 12:16:PM »

Stop giving them inspiration for new designs.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: Wed Jan, 03, 2018, 04:48:PM »
I saw the movie twice.   The first time I felt a little down, it was long and seemed to be slow.  But the second time, it settled in and was much better.    There is a lot going on with this one, and it sets the stage for the next one really well.    I do recommend it, and I agree with blakeh1 with his comments.

I saw it yesterday

I was both annoyed and entertained at the same time by it

I actually really liked the Yoda part. He was very much like Yoda as we first meet him in ESB. Very mischievous, but at the same time,still teaching Luke valuable lesson's.

It was definitely worth seeing on a big screen

There were some very cringe worthy parts but also some really great parts

Just turn your logic center off and enjoy the ride. It's a Star Wars movie, not rocket science.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: Mon Feb, 05, 2018, 12:27:AM »
China gave TLJ the boot after a quick couple of weeks. They apparently saw through the political propaganda and the movie tanked. Most flop movies count on China to recoup expenses, but that obviously didn't happen. I can imagine a rush to release this disaster on DVD as a result.

I need to get back to my build, then!

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: Tue Feb, 06, 2018, 07:36:AM »
Lol. Guess so. I didn't see it yet.

Offline Elm City Hobbies

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Elm City Hobbies
    • Awards
« Reply #49 on: Wed Feb, 07, 2018, 01:38:PM »
No issues with the movie, thought it was great. Sometimes people just need to sit down, turn their minds off and watch the movie. You will have a much better time than sitting there over analyzing it to the nth degree

Offline peza

• peza
  • Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: Thu Feb, 08, 2018, 10:08:AM »
I.watched it at the cinema and wasn't that impressed, then a week or so later watched it at home with some cans of lager and loved it! So I recommend watching it merry ;D
"you there only mean`t to blow the bloody doors off"

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: Fri Feb, 09, 2018, 02:59:PM »
I.watched it at the cinema and wasn't that impressed, then a week or so later watched it at home with some cans of lager and loved it! So I recommend watching it merry ;D

It's definitely better as a "two beer movie"- but then, most movies are nowadays.
I think that's why so many theatres now sell beer.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #52 on: Mon Feb, 12, 2018, 11:52:PM »
No issues with the movie, thought it was great. Sometimes people just need to sit down, turn their minds off and watch the movie. You will have a much better time than sitting there over analyzing it to the nth degree
I've noticed the prevalent attitude of those who had no issue with TLJ and defend it are the ones who quickly add something like "It's just a stupid Star Wars movie, so don't expect much" or "check your brain at the door and enjoy the movie." I will not go as far as to accuse you guys of not being "true Star Wars fans," but I will point out that there is a big reason why Star Wars is a household name ingrained in our culture and not the likes of Plan 9 From Outer Space. If I wanted to watch a brainless, stupid SF action movie that insults my intelligence, I'd watch a Michael Bay Transformers movie. But I won't even waste my time with those movies. I hold Star Wars to a higher regard than that.

Even as bad as the prequels were due to a lack of Lucas inviting others' input, at least those movies followed the established "hero's journey" in which Anakin developed his skills and grew as a character. JJ's TFA established a lot of mystery and intrigue, only to have Rian Johnson toss them away with a completely different vision for the series. The characters aren't even consistent. I was expecting that Rey must've had some special Jedi training as a child, but it turns out that she's just a natural Jedi because to heck with training, it's for idiots. Suddenly Poe, who in the prior movie was willing to lay down his life for Leia, is suddenly now a pig-headed male chauvinist who doesn't like taking orders from women just for the sake of the movie giving a lesson on misogyny. Even as a movie with a heavy-handed dissertation on the importance of feminism, it fails at that, given that the female-dominated military manages to get everyone killed by the end of the movie.

And it turns out that all the Rebellion needed to do was hyperspace a frozen burrito into the Death Star at Yavin IV and not have bothered with all that "Lock S-Foils into attack position" business. Let's just cut the whole galaxy in half with stuff in hyperspace because we were able to do that all along, apparently.

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: Tue Feb, 13, 2018, 10:22:AM »
LOL. seriously laughing out loud reading that.

'hyperspace a frozen burrito' - That should be a t-shirt. : I just hyperspaced a frozen burrito.

Love your posts Greg. I check it out on Netflix.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: Wed Feb, 14, 2018, 01:03:AM »
He nailed everything that has been bugging me and I wasn't quite conscious of.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: Wed Feb, 14, 2018, 09:40:PM »
He nailed everything that has been bugging me and I wasn't quite conscious of.
And I haven't even seen the lousy movie!  ;D I just know enough about it to stay away. I'm not even interested in seeing the Han Solo movie trailer. Both Star Wars and Star Trek have been completely ruined for me. All I can hope for is at least cool starship designs, but they can't even deliver on that anymore.

25 years ago, I was telling people, "Dude, these new Star Wars are NOT gonna be based on the Timothy Zahn books. They are gonna be all-new movies and they're gonna be great!" Then it turns out that they featured celibate babysnatching bozos waving sticks around in front of Windows desktop wallpapers half the time and sitting on sofas the other half. Not even these cartoons are any good, featuring weirdos flying around with lightsaber helicopters. facepalm.jpg
« Last Edit: Wed Feb, 14, 2018, 10:33:PM by stevethefish »

Offline Deere_driver

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #56 on: Thu Feb, 15, 2018, 08:40:AM »
I'm thinking the Timothy Zahn books are looking pretty good in comparison.  I was not impressed with TLJ for myriad reasons, but I think the worst was sucking Adm. Ackbar out into space to become a squidcicle while Leia was able to Marry Poppins her way to safety.  At least let him go out piloting the hyperspace burrito to save the day.

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #57 on: Thu Feb, 15, 2018, 08:05:PM »
Yeah, I've heard of that infamous scene. I'm tempted to see if I can find that unintentionally hilarious Mary Poppins scene online somewhere. Too bad Admiral Ackbar wasn't like, "IT'S A TRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.........p!"

The Timothy Zahn books were great. Mara Jade was great. The war of attrition on the Empire's remnants as described in the EU novels works a lot better than calling the Republic "the resistance." It took me a while to rationalize all that to myself, but even then it still doesn't sit right. Calling it the First Order is fine since the Empire has been ruined, but why "The Resistance"? Ah, whatever.

My favorite EU books were the two X-Wing series. I got to talk a lot with Michael Stackpole at the Phoenix Comicons before I moved to Japan.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #58 on: Fri Feb, 16, 2018, 03:36:AM »
A friend sent me this:

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #59 on: Fri Feb, 16, 2018, 10:46:AM »
...but why "The Resistance"? ...

Not that I necessarily agree with them, but it actually kind of makes sense and Disney most likely preferred to make it more "politically correct"? for lack of a better way to describe it

rebel is an offensive action. It has some "negative" connotations. Think that bit from clerks where Randal was talking about the contract union guys building the Death Star and along comes some rebel "terrorists" and blow it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQdDRrcAOjA

resistance is much more of a defensive action. As such, they are a much a much "kinder and gentler" group defending those who can't defend themselves