Author Topic: Mr ? White Putty  (Read 1475 times)

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
Mr ? White Putty
« on: Tue Feb, 21, 2017, 01:37:PM »

... since the  Education & Reference  section ain't happening right now  ,
         I'll add this half-thunk  :

I'm a big fan of the Tamiya White putty   --  I use the Vallejo acrylic putty when I need to avoid the solvents and need the longer open time .

I decided to order a tube of this Mr White Putty to check it out   --from Scale Hobbyist

25 grams vs Tamiya's 32 grams  ...     It's not white but ivory
             Thought of contact cement when I first opened it   -- same odor from the solvents and it skins super fast and apparently to a degree that slows the cure down much slower than the Tamiya   ...   seems tougher to sand once cured  .    ???

I've only had it around a couple of days so I don't really have a solid opinion of it   , but I'd pick the Tamiya over it in the future  -    -  this tube will probably be around for a while    ;)
                                    --  it might offer some characteristics that may be advantages     ,, , ,  time will tell

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
Re: Mr ? White Putty
« Reply #1 on: Wed Feb, 22, 2017, 10:01:AM »
Just started using the Tamiya Putty - the grey stuff. Seems to work well.

Do you know what I can thin it with? or cleanup with?

Offline Belugawrx

• Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Wed Feb, 22, 2017, 11:27:AM »
I have read that lacquer thinner works with Tamiya,...but PLEASE test first !!!
Bruce
cut towards your chum not your thumb!!

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Wed Feb, 22, 2017, 12:07:PM »
 Tamiya says lacquer thinner   --  their thinner   ,
        I've learned to use it in ALL situations un-thinned  .

I tried thinning it in the past but it didn't work well   --  you will need a very small amount of solvent .

I use the water based putty when I need different properties .

Supposedly this stuff is the gray version of the putty ready-thinned   ,,,,  not much use to MoMo  as of yet -
                                                                                                                     -- more like paint to Uru    :P   :

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Wed Feb, 22, 2017, 12:15:PM »
Ok cool. thanks.

Offline Elm City Hobbies

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Elm City Hobbies
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Thu Feb, 23, 2017, 12:15:PM »
Used to sell the Squadron green, but my distaste for it has grown over the years.

Now I carry the Tamiya Grey and White (and get asked what the difference is all the time.....just the color people!), and the Vallejo putty, as well as the Tamiya Liquid Surface Primer, which I liken to Mr. Surfacer, just it doesn't seemingly evaporate out of a sealed bottle and go thick like Mr. Surfacer does.

I like the Vallejo stuff as you can put it on and just wet your finger (or some other tool) to smooth it out, and feather the edges. And the applicator being so small, it can really get into some tight areas and put a bead down.

Quite possibly could use the Vallejo putting with the thin tube applicator to lay down weld beads as well. Lay it where you want, let it set up for 10mins or so and then press in the weld marks with a blade of some sort. 

Offline stevethefish

• Addict
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Wed Mar, 08, 2017, 12:23:AM »
I've never used Mr. White Putty, but the Tamiya putty is great when thinned with Tamiya lacquer thinner. Let it set and wipe off the excess with a cotton swab dipped in acetone.

I do have Mr. Dissolved Putty, which is whitish color and can be used the same way right out of the bottle. I figure whenever I get around to filling in the aztec panel lines on my Star Trek V Enterprise A, I'll use Mr. Dissolved Putty.