Author Topic: Exploding Y-wing Bandai Vehicle Model 005 Diorama  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
Re: Exploding Y-wing Bandai Vehicle Model 005 Diorama
« Reply #15 on: Mon Feb, 20, 2017, 11:27:PM »
That turned out really well.
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline stevethefish

• Recreational User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: Tue Feb, 21, 2017, 12:11:AM »
I really enjoyed this build of yours. Those guys at StarshipModeler who complain about these small kits and can't get excited about them really ought to see this. In fact, I think I will share this build of yours over there (unless you are on there).

I liked the teaser you made at the end of the video. A Bespin landing platform would be great with the Falcon.

HECK, I think they should make a Slave-1 for the Vehicle Collection series. I think I'll suggest that to the Bandai guys if I can make it to the Shizuoka Hobby Show in May. (That and a Corellian Corvette.)

Offline Scott Girvan

• Scale Model Addict
  • Admin
  • Overdose
    • www.scalemodeladdict.com
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: Tue Feb, 21, 2017, 10:44:AM »
Man that really turned out great. A very cool piece - and the explosion totally works. Not an easy thing to model from what I've seen around the webs.

Online urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: Tue Feb, 21, 2017, 06:08:PM »

Yeah !     ;D    Really Fantasik!

I've referred quite a few people to your sinking Titanic build   --
                                                                                                     Keep up the great work .
        Definitely the way to use the Bandai goodness   8)

Offline Barsprojects

• Recreational User
    • Bar's Projects on Flickr
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: Tue Feb, 21, 2017, 07:11:PM »
Wow, thanks so much guys, means a lot.

@Urumomo Thanks for referring the Titanic build, I have a video of that one as well, just photos and sound effects but got quite some views, which is a mystery to me, cause "real build" video's like the Bandai builds don't get nearly that much views, maybe it's the Titanic subject. That one was very cool to do, exactly the right amount of challenge and different skills and learning. Would do it again cause the paint job is horrible :)
Video: https://youtu.be/uYtu1JXb02w

@Scott Thank you. The explosion bit is particularly difficult in the small scale (an inch or so), the bigger the easier. I will have to come back to that one day cause there's room for improvement there.

@SteveTheFish I'm not on StarshipModeler (only on this forum) so go ahead please. I can understand the scale factor not being atractive to some for size. But for diorama's it's perfect, plus, like I said, I get easily bored. Time is a big factor. I'd rather build 5 models a year then just one. This one took 2 months exactly, including making the videos, in hours, maybe 60/80? Please tell Bandai to have a go at the transport ship you're building, the blockade runner please!, medical frigate, at-at, slave 1, yes! Let's make a petition!

Next up. Bespin diorama definitely. Maybe also another falcon involving the snake monster coming out of the asteroid. At least that one won't need any scratchbuilt tiny landing gear :)

Barry

Online urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: Tue Feb, 21, 2017, 07:24:PM »

Ha Ha  !   ;D    -  Love the Titanic vid      --  subscribed to your channel

Cheers

Offline kolja

• Habitual User
    • Black Diamond Modelworks
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: Fri Feb, 24, 2017, 02:45:AM »
 :o WOW - THAT, sir, is impressive!!
Karl "Kolja" Sander

Offline Jason Abbadon

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: Sat Mar, 18, 2017, 03:58:AM »
Beautiful job!
I LOVE the details and weathering you added in this build- really a showstopper!

Offline Go Flight

• Habitual User
    • My tiny piece of the Net...
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: Wed Mar, 22, 2017, 10:58:AM »
Very cool. Work. The explosion is top notch, and the little adds in the base really adds to make the scene come alive.
Kev
~ ~ ~

If it's Star Wars, I'm in...

My little piece of the Net - kevtk.blogspot.com

Offline Dark Kyp

• Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: Sun Mar, 26, 2017, 05:17:AM »
really a nive job!

Tanks for the explosion tip!  ;)

Offline Barsprojects

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: Wed Apr, 19, 2017, 06:04:PM »
Thanks for the thumbs up fellas!

Just started building the tiny tiny Bandai Falcon today, went in straight for the front two lights with 0.3 mm fibers(!). I was sure I was going to F this up drilling with a flimsy drillbit, but no, surprise, it actually worked :)

Plan is to put the falcon on a Bespin landing platform and add a city scape background (backlit print), hopefully. I'll start a new thread soon.

Anyone know of a good source for the Falcon light positions? As in The Empire Strikes Back? I already noticed that version had 5 landing gear and the bottom is different from the Bandai model (missing two front landing bays). Not sure I want to hassle with that but will have to scratchbuild at least 3 landing gears.

Barry

Offline stevethefish

• Recreational User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: Thu Apr, 20, 2017, 02:42:AM »
That is very cool, Barry! There's a guy on the Starship Modeler forum who recently said he is planning to make a Bespin landing platform for the Falcon. I don't know if he will come up with landing gears for the Falcon as well.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: Thu Apr, 20, 2017, 03:22:AM »
Go to the link and scroll down about a quarter of the way, there is a diagram

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=201632

Offline Barsprojects

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: Thu Apr, 20, 2017, 07:24:PM »
Thanks Grendels and Stevethefish.

I forgot how many lights there are on the falcon, I should have known, I build one 7 years ago. Still it's a puzzle why my screengrab from the movie shows red headlights instead of white ones.

I started on the landing gears, wasn't too bad once I let go of the idea of actually recreating a falcon foot. I used brass to make something foot-like, kindof like an X-wing one I guess. It works for me! It's about 6mm long, 1/4 inch. Had this paperthin brass sheet that worked perfectly for landing bay doors.
Probably not doing the extra two landingbays, it's quite enough a challenge as it is. Fun though :)

Barry

Offline Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #29 on: Thu Apr, 20, 2017, 08:21:PM »
Certainly works at that tiny scale.
And this one's missing the extra gear bays because it's based on the ep4 version, not the more common Empire version
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--