Author Topic: Space Battleship Yamato stuff  (Read 9681 times)

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
  • My name's actually not Steve
    • My homepage
    • Awards
Re: Space Battleship Yamato stuff
« Reply #105 on: Thu Apr, 12, 2018, 09:04:PM »
I have used a similar product branded as InstaMold
Yes, that's the exact same thing. The nice thing about this stuff is that you can reuse it by putting it back in hot water. So far I have only used it with UV-curing clear resin. It works with two-part epoxy resin, but I've yet to do that.

Well, the longer, bent flight deck I cast in clear resin is still a bit flexible after removing it from the mold. Also, there are unfortunately some air bubbles. I've found some other clear resin from an online hobby shop that I might try. Judging by the picture, It may have more for the money than the Tamiya stuff anyway.

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: Fri Apr, 13, 2018, 02:42:AM »
I use instamold or Oyumaru all the time.  It works just fine with two part resin.

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: Mon Apr, 16, 2018, 01:12:PM »
That sucks about the flight deck casting. Sound like the other stuff will work out better though

And that InstaMold stuff is really easy to use as far as just using hot water to let you redo it

As far as the Lambea, I filled the huge seams on the side and the one on the top flight deck and repainted those areas

I finished some more of the fighters and also got the radar assembly on as well as most of the other surface details like the guns and spikey fins etc...

Mostly done, just a few things left. The remainder of the fighters, the yellow markings on the flight deck and some additional antennas along the 3rd deck which are there in the anime, but not modeled in the kit. I think adding them will make a difference

I also added weathering for the hull and flight decks. I didn't want to go to far overboard with it though

full album here https://flic.kr/s/aHskxY16hb

Online Quaralane

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #108 on: Tue Apr, 17, 2018, 12:33:AM »
Incredible work on this
"There must be some way out of here," said the Joker to the Thief.
"There's too much confusion. I can't get no relief."
--Bob Dylan, "All Along the Watchtower" 1965--

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: Thu Apr, 19, 2018, 12:58:AM »
Very nice!

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #110 on: Thu Apr, 19, 2018, 12:08:PM »
thanks guys!

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: Thu Apr, 26, 2018, 11:19:AM »
Blake, check out Dorobou Hige's recent post on Twitter of his carrier ship.

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #112 on: Thu Apr, 26, 2018, 02:01:PM »
Blake, check out Dorobou Hige's recent post on Twitter of his carrier ship.

Thanks!

That is amazing

He got lighting in many places I wanted to (like the windows along the interior decks and the green antenna markers).  I'd love to see a detail blog of the build up

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #113 on: Fri Apr, 27, 2018, 04:14:AM »
Even more amazing is the work he did on the Darold He put hinges on the deck to switch between the runway and the cannons.

He's got it so that the runway lights do a chase sequence, but I really don't get how he pulled it off. he is also able to wire up timer chips without using boards.  I'd be happy if I could pull off the rotating deck plates without the chase sequence. That is, if I had this kit!
« Last Edit: Fri Apr, 27, 2018, 04:17:AM by stevethefish »

Offline texastony1946

• Habitual User
    • Awards
« Reply #114 on: Fri Apr, 27, 2018, 10:01:AM »
Great work on this build. Thanks for the link to Dorobou Hige. Looks like I have a long way to go on lighting models.

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #115 on: Mon Apr, 30, 2018, 03:59:PM »
Even more amazing is the work he did on the Darold He put hinges on the deck to switch between the runway and the cannons.

He's got it so that the runway lights do a chase sequence, but I really don't get how he pulled it off. he is also able to wire up timer chips without using boards.  I'd be happy if I could pull off the rotating deck plates without the chase sequence. That is, if I had this kit!

Wow, that sure is impressive as well.

It seems to auto activate the runway lights when he sits the drill plane on the deck

Again, I'd love to see a build log of this

They have the PDF of the build things for the Star Wars stuff. Loved to see the same thing for the Yamato stuff

Great work on this build. Thanks for the link to Dorobou Hige. Looks like I have a long way to go on lighting models.

ditto :D :

Offline stevethefish

• Habitual User
    • My homepage
    • Awards
« Reply #116 on: Tue May, 01, 2018, 03:46:AM »
Not to brag, but I've met Dorobou Hige a few times as well as some of the other well-known SF modelers. It's a group called Doro Off, IIRC. They have a table at the Shizuoka Hobby Show in the private individuals' exhibition hall and are easily approachable. The drill plane apparently has a magnet inside which activates some sort of internal switch. My friend was telling me about something like this. Like there's a switch inside of a model and a magnet will pull it up to the ON position.

I've successfully created a strobing 555 timer chip but I need to put it onto a PCB to properly wire it up. Dorobou Hige is able to wire these up naked somehow in order to decrease internal space requirements.

Offline Madhatter

• Recreational User
    • Awards
« Reply #117 on: Tue May, 01, 2018, 05:45:AM »
you are so lucky! I'd love to go see the Doro Off displays - they are amazing!
The one modeller who I'd love to meet is my all time idol Yatasith (Takepoopa Yasuhiro). He is inspirational beyond all measure to me. His Venator was the catalyst for my detailing obsession
SSDD

Offline Belugawrx

• Needs Intervention
    • Awards
« Reply #118 on: Sat May, 05, 2018, 08:00:PM »
Wow, now that is some nice stuff, right there Blake !!
Bruce
cut towards your chum not your thumb!!

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #119 on: Mon May, 07, 2018, 02:09:AM »
Not to brag, but I've met Dorobou Hige a few times as well as some of the other well-known SF modelers. It's a group called Doro Off, IIRC. They have a table at the Shizuoka Hobby Show in the private individuals' exhibition hall and are easily approachable. The drill plane apparently has a magnet inside which activates some sort of internal switch. My friend was telling me about something like this. Like there's a switch inside of a model and a magnet will pull it up to the ON position.

I've successfully created a strobing 555 timer chip but I need to put it onto a PCB to properly wire it up. Dorobou Hige is able to wire these up naked somehow in order to decrease internal space requirements.

It is called a magnetic reed switch, I used one in the Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. protector, the rock monster turns on and off the lights.  Most residential alarms use them on the window switches.