Author Topic: Star Wars Bandai kit crumbles  (Read 428 times)

Offline lucashardwick

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
Star Wars Bandai kit crumbles
« on: Mon Jun, 18, 2018, 06:52:AM »
Hi everyone!  I'm new to this forum and have been modeling off and on for years.  I don't know all the tricks and I'm constantly learning new things.  This evening I was working on my Bandai AT-AT walker kit and was applying Tamiya panel line wash when suddenly I noticed several cracks and one of the lower legs broke off.  This was the first time I've ever used the Tamiya panel line wash.  I typically mix up my own wash using Testors thinner and enamel paint. 

Is the Tamiya panel line wash the reason this kit literally began to crumble in my hands?  What are some of the best methods of going about weathering and washing the Bandai Star Wars kits? 

I had primed the kit and sprayed it with a basecoat, then clear coat.  I'm guessing I should have applied at least another couple of layers of clear before proceeding with the panel wash?  Or would it eat through everything no matter what?

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards

Offline lucashardwick

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
Re: Star Wars Bandai kit crumbles
« Reply #2 on: Mon Jun, 18, 2018, 06:34:PM »
Thank you so much for the link. Helpful info!

Offline urumomo

• Overdose
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Mon Jun, 18, 2018, 06:37:PM »
Yeah  - kinda   ;)

If you find out more please post back !

Offline blakeh1

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Tue Jun, 19, 2018, 07:07:PM »
I believe the Tamiya Panel line paints are enamel based and probably thinned with mineral spirits which seems to be the kyrptonite for Bandai plastic

Offline Rafereal

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Wed Jun, 20, 2018, 03:44:AM »
I'm interesting

Offline Barzamsan

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Thu Aug, 16, 2018, 08:41:AM »
Hi everyone!  I'm new to this forum and have been modeling off and on for years.  I don't know all the tricks and I'm constantly learning new things.  This evening I was working on my Bandai AT-AT walker kit and was applying Tamiya panel line wash when suddenly I noticed several cracks and one of the lower legs broke off.  This was the first time I've ever used the Tamiya panel line wash.  I typically mix up my own wash using Testors thinner and enamel paint. 

Is the Tamiya panel line wash the reason this kit literally began to crumble in my hands?  What are some of the best methods of going about weathering and washing the Bandai Star Wars kits? 

I had primed the kit and sprayed it with a basecoat, then clear coat.  I'm guessing I should have applied at least another couple of layers of clear before proceeding with the panel wash?  Or would it eat through everything no matter what?

I had the same problem recently. I was building a kit and I applied multiple gloss coats to it before I applied an AK weathering product. The plastic didn't crack where it was varnished but soaked into the plastic through small gaps which then lead to the entire piece snapping in various places. For some reason Bandai plastic hates those enamel washes, it has some kind of reaction with the plastic that make it brittle.

I've stuck to acrylics almost exclusively with Bandai plastic since then. No one is quite sure why it gets the way it does but it's too high risk to invest so much work and then have it all go to crap on that last hurdle.

Offline Dutch

• Just Experimenting
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: Thu Aug, 16, 2018, 08:55:AM »
I've never heard of this.  I'm glad I read this as I have several Ban-Dai kits lined up.