Author Topic: Removing old dried on glue.  (Read 1422 times)

Offline Deadman Disciple

• Recreational User
    • Youtube
    • Awards
Removing old dried on glue.
« on: Sat Mar, 12, 2016, 05:05:AM »
Ive started my Del Boy Capri Pratmobile, but it came pre-built.

The clear headlamp lenses had been glued in using either old style poly cement or superglue & its turned them half misty.

I tried test fitting the 7mm lenses I bought from Kitform Services but they are too big, plus the fact they are lenses mounted onto a photoetch type material.

Is there any way I could soak the old lenses in some kind of solution to remove the years old dried on glue?

I was thinking about soaking them in white spirits, but im thinking that will melt the lenses.

I could paint them silver to cover the glue up, but only as a last resort.

Cheers,

Wayne.
I was there at Wrestlemania 28 in Miami to witness first hand Undertaker going 20-0
UNDERTAKER RETIRED AT WRESTLEMANIA 33, BUT HIS LEGACY REMAINS FOREVER!!!!!
THANK YOU TAKER!!!!!

Offline Belugawrx

• Addict
    • Awards
Re: Removing old dried on glue.
« Reply #1 on: Sat Mar, 12, 2016, 08:57:PM »
Hey Wayne, are the lens flat on the back,...Could you not sand and polish the glue off,...or is the glue on the fronts too ?
Bruce
cut towards your chum not your thumb!!

Offline Deadman Disciple

• Recreational User
    • Youtube
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: Wed Mar, 16, 2016, 05:35:PM »
Ive sanded as much as i can, but the glue remains.

The lenses are flat on the inside, im going to silver wash the outside to try & disguise the glue.
I was there at Wrestlemania 28 in Miami to witness first hand Undertaker going 20-0
UNDERTAKER RETIRED AT WRESTLEMANIA 33, BUT HIS LEGACY REMAINS FOREVER!!!!!
THANK YOU TAKER!!!!!

Offline Belugawrx

• Addict
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: Sat Mar, 26, 2016, 05:31:AM »
post some pics
Bruce
cut towards your chum not your thumb!!

Offline the Baron

• Overdose
  • Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: Mon Mar, 28, 2016, 11:43:AM »
It's tough to say for sure, given that you don't know for sure what kind of glue was used.

If you think it was CA glue (superglue), you could try a cotton swab dipped in acetone, which will dissolve the glue.  You have to be careful, because it can also melt styrene, though a swab soaked in the solvent won't be hard to control.  I have used this method myself.

If it looks like the glue melted the plastic as part of the bond, I'd say that it was a glue designed for use with styrene, which melts the plastic to create a weld.  That kind of glue, you cannot remove.  You'll have to sand down the former join to get a clean surface.

You might be able to scrape the remaining glue away, too, with an X-Acto knife.

That's about all I can think of, without seeing the piece or knowing more about the glue that was used.
Non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam

Offline Grendels

• Mod
  • Overdose
    • small business that I own.
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: Mon Mar, 28, 2016, 02:53:PM »
A dip in future can sometimes clear up problems on clear styrene.   Just make sure that one edge is on a piece of paper towel to wick away excess.   You can remove future with ammonia, so if you try it and don't like the results you can just remove it.

I have removed scratches from clear styrene by polishing with very fine sand paper and then the future dip.

Offline the Baron

• Overdose
  • Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: Wed Mar, 30, 2016, 03:18:PM »
A dip in future can sometimes clear up problems on clear styrene.   Just make sure that one edge is on a piece of paper towel to wick away excess.   You can remove future with ammonia, so if you try it and don't like the results you can just remove it.

I have removed scratches from clear styrene by polishing with very fine sand paper and then the future dip.

Second that!  I use polishing pads, which go from 1800 grit to 3600, I think, in a series of 5 or 6 successively finer grits.  I recommend them highly for your tool kit.
Non nobis, Domine, sed nomini tuo da gloriam